TRANSFORMATION PHOTOS: WHY I DON'T DO THEM
By Meg Walker
THE FORMATIVE FORMATION
21 APR 2023
4 MEGNOTES - Personal thoughts that I would like to share with you.
2 CONVERSATIONS - Discussions that have inspired me this week.
3 RESOURCES - 1 quote, 1 resource and 1 idea to help you grow.
1 QUESTION - How would YOU answer it?
1. If you type in fitness on social media, you'll find countless transformation photos. These are side-by-side pictures of someone's "before" and "after" body. The intention is to show off someone's physical transformation over X amount of time. While these photos can be impressive, they don't tell the whole story. In fact, I find them to be the least interesting part of my clients' transformations.
2. Although physical changes are impressive, that's not what motivates me as a coach. I get excited by the life changes my clients have made. How they've managed to stay consistent in a balanced and sustainable way. How they've improved their relationship with food. By their gained confidence. By their new approach to exercise. The significant increase in energy, and a newfound appreciation for their bodies. To me, that's the real transformation and two photos could never do that justice.
3. It's easy to do transformation photos, especially when it's the done thing in fitness. But not partaking in this, allows for so many more take homes. THE MEG METHOD coaches people on the many ways progress can be measured and celebrated. This can look like tracking your changes in strength and endurance. How has your relationship with the scales changed? How has your relationship with food changed? Are you sleeping better? Are you more positive? My clients set themselves both physical and non-physical goals. This could look like completing a challenging workout or trying a new activity. We celebrate big and small wins and we keep our eyes on the bigger picture: sustainable health.
4. Now, don't get me wrong – there's absolutely nothing wrong with having aesthetic goals. We all want to look and feel our best, and I'm here to support my clients in achieving those goals. But I refuse to use transformation photos as the sole measure of success. When used in this way, pictures can be damaging without the proper and necessary context. This can create unnecessary pressure on individuals to conform to society's beauty standards. THE MEG METHOD prioritises health, self-acceptance, and enjoying the journey, one step (or workout) at a time.
The Formative Formation newsletter will help you level up your health and fitness one email at a time. Every Friday, I will share my 4-2-3-1 line up of thoughts, quotes, conversations and resources on all things fitness and mindset.
THE MEG METHOD: Why I Don't Do Transformation Photos
In this special episode of THE MEG METHOD Podcast, I’m sharing why you'll never find a transformation photo on my website or social media and you'll hear a number of my clients share their transformation in their own words. In this insightful conversation, you'll learn why transformation photos can perpetuate harmful messages about body image, how they don't always tell the whole story, and how they can create unrealistic expectations for clients. You'll also discover how a more comprehensive approach to progress tracking can help promote a healthy and positive approach to health and fitness.
If you're a coach or trainer who wants to learn how to promote sustainable and healthy progress for your clients, or if you're someone who wants to improve your own health and fitness in a way that feels meaningful and sustainable, this episode is for you.
SEEKING INSIGHTS: Charl Pickstock - Pursuing aesthetic goals, can it really be done in a 'healthy' way?
Stuart Graham from S25 Coaching is a great coach and I always appreciate efforts to have balanced conversations around health and fitness.
On this episode of Seeking Insights Podcast, Stu welcomes Charl Pickstock, an online coach and ex bikini competitor who is trying to help people preserve their complete health, whilst pursuing an extremely demanding and often disordered goal of stepping on the stage. Charl also helps women who have been competitors previously transition out of a space that is often so heavily focused on how someone looks.
"Your time is limited, don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
This couldn't be more true when it comes to transformation photos. It's easy to see these pictures online and think, "I want to look like them," but this is never a good place to start. Transformation is about so much more than just external appearance. It's about discovering what you really want in life, and working towards achieving that. Instead of aspiring to be someone else, ask yourself, "What do I want?" What kind of life do you want to live? What do you hope to achieve? Why do I want to look like that? What am I hoping it will make me feel? These are the questions that will truly help you transform. This will help bring you feelings of fulfilment that no photo could ever capture. Don't waste your precious time living someone else's life or trying to look like them. Start living your own life, and discover what transformation really means to you.
1-1 Coaching Plans by THE MEG METHOD
If you want a transformation that far exceeds the confines of a social media photo, book in a free coaching call with me. Let me help you create a plan that you are excited about. A plan that is helping you grow in a way that feels healthy for you. A plan that is helping you live the life you want and not someone elses. A plan that allows you to see and feel long lasting changes that you can feel proud of.
You'll see there are no transformation photos on my website but many transformation stories shared by my clients in their own words. I hope they can inspire you as much as they have inspired me.
A photo is the least exciting part of your transformation journey
“What does transformation look like to me?”
(Why not use this week's big question as a journal prompt to work out how to pursue a transformation that is authentic to you).
Want to share your discoveries? Send me a DM on Instagram @themegmethod or email me.
You only get one life. Make sure you are living it for yourself.
WHEN YOU'RE READY, THERE ARE TWO WAYS THAT I CAN HELP YOU:
1. If you're wanting to improve your health this year, I have coached thousand’s of people to improve their fitness, breathwork and mindset through both 1-1 or group coaching:
1-1 Coaching: An opportunity to work closely with me through live Masterclass sessions or bespoke monthly training plans. Whether your goal is around fitness, nutrition, mindset and/or breathwork, I can help you create lasting change (and I’ll prove to you that you can still enjoy life while doing so).
Connective Collective: This is an incredible community space where you can share your wins and struggles with people on a similar journey to you. You also have direct access to me, incredible resources and my exclusive live Breathwork and Meditation sessions.
2. Fitness, health and mindset coaching advice via my two podcasts:
THE MEG METHOD Podcast: A podcast that provides you with actionable advice and tools on how to create a foundation for better health. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
My Kind of People Podcast: Learn from some of the most incredible minds on the planet. Each episode, I speak with leaders and community members from across the world who all share a passion for positive change. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
Be kind. Breathe deep. Speak soon.
Big love, Meg x