FAT LOSS: THE DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES
By Meg Walker
THE FORMATIVE FORMATION
17 FEB 2023
4 MEGNOTES - Personal thoughts that I would like to share with you.
2 CONVERSATIONS - Discussions that have inspired me this week.
3 RESOURCES - 1 quote, 1 resource and 1 idea to help you grow.
1 QUESTION - How would YOU answer it?
1. Oh, the allure of quick results. We've all fallen victim to it at one time or another, but let's be real - the long game is where it's at. Sure, you might see some fast progress in the short term, but that's like building a house of cards. One small gust of wind, and it's all over. By focusing on sustainable progress over the long term, you're building a foundation that will stand the test of time.
2. Want to see some real progress? Then buckle up and commit to some sustainable behaviours. It's not always going to be easy, but it will be worth it. Whether it's adding more vegetables to your plate or making time for daily exercise, these are the little things that add up to big results. Don't underestimate how far one small step at a time will take you.
3. You know what really gets me excited? Long-term progress. It's not just about hitting a goal and then stopping; it's about proving to yourself that you can maintain that progress. Whether it's losing weight, building strength, or just feeling better overall, knowing that you're in it for the long haul is a powerful motivator. With a sustainable approach that goal that once seemed impossible will soon become an everyday habit.
4. Patience is a virtue, they say, but who has time for that? Not me. I want results, and I want them now. But here's the thing - you don't need patience if you're not waiting. By focusing on sustainable progress and embracing the journey, you're not just waiting for the results to come to you. You're actively creating them, day by day. And if you stumble along the way? That's okay. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again. You've got this. One step at a time.
THE MEG METHOD: Where Do I Want To Be This Time Next Year?
In this episode of THE MEG METHOD, I discuss the power of journaling and provide a thought-provoking prompt: "Where do you want to be this time next year?" This is more impressive to me then only focusing on how much progress you could make in 12 weeks.
This podcast episode is a great listen for anyone who wants support in setting intentions and taking action.
MY KIND OF PEOPLE: Sheri Miles
In this podcast episode, I am joined by the immensely talented, Sheri Miles. Sheri Miles is the Founder of Power & Pole, a community app that is warm, welcoming and fully inclusive. She is also a multiple British Record holder, 4 x Raw English Champion & u72kg Commonwealth champion. In this episode, we discuss how Powerlifting and Pole Fitness have been an important part of her fitness journey, how good things take time and how she hopes to create a community fitness network for everyone.
(P.s. if you are short on time, our conversation regarding sustainable action is from 41 minutes onwards).
"Sustainability is a mindset. It's not a project, it's not a product, it's not a program, it's not a set of metrics. It's a way of thinking, a way of being." - Jennifer Woofter
Are you tired of hopping from one fad diet to another, only to see your weight shoot up again in a few weeks? Sustainable fat loss requires a mindset shift - a commitment to long-term health and wellness, beyond calorie counting and rigid workout routines. It's not easy, but by finding a balance between mindful eating and enjoyable physical activities, integrating them into our daily routine, and celebrating small wins along the way, we can achieve sustainable weight management. It's important to be empathetic towards ourselves, acknowledge setbacks and find a support system to provide guidance and motivation. Sustainable fat loss is not a project, product or program, but a way of thinking and being that requires effort and determination, but it's worth it for a foundation of health that will last.
The Tortoise and the Hare by Aesop
Are you familiar with the classic fable of the Tortoise and the Hare? (more like Tortoise and the complete mare!) While the Hare might have had some mad hops and speed on its side, it let complacency and overconfidence get in the way. Meanwhile, the Tortoise, who's not exactly Usain Bolt, remained focused and determined, eventually taking home the prize.
This fable is an excellent analogy for the pursuit of fat loss. It's easy to get caught up in the allure of extreme diets and quick fixes that promise results in record time. However, just like the Hare, those who hop on board with these fad diets often find themselves burnt out, unable to keep up the pace.
The key to sustainable and lasting fat loss is taking the slow and steady approach, just like the Tortoise. It means taking small, consistent steps towards a healthy lifestyle that work for you and your needs, rather than trying to make drastic changes overnight.
Sure, the quick-fix diets might be tempting, but in the end, they'll leave you feeling hungry, irritable, and probably not any closer to your goals. So, why not take a more measured approach? By focusing on making gradual changes to your eating habits and incorporating regular exercise into your routine, you'll not only see sustainable fat loss but also feel better both physically and mentally.
Remember, fat loss isn't a one-size-fits-all journey, and it's okay to take your time. Be kind to yourself, embrace the journey, and like the Tortoise, you'll cross that finish line before you know it.
We often overestimate what we can achieve in the short term and underestimate what we can achieve in the long term.
"What is your next best step towards your goal?"
(Why not use this week's big question as a journal prompt to reflect on one step you could take this week to help get you closer towards your goal).
Want to share your discoveries? Send me a DM on Instagram @themegmethod or email me.
I'll choose gradual progress over going round in circles any day.
WHEN YOU'RE READY, THERE ARE TWO WAYS THAT I CAN HELP YOU:
1. If you're wanting to improve your health this year, I have coached thousand’s of people to improve their fitness, breathwork and mindset through both 1-1 or group coaching:
1-1 Coaching: An opportunity to work closely with me through live Masterclass sessions or bespoke monthly training plans. Whether your goal is around fitness, nutrition, mindset and/or breathwork, I can help you create lasting change (and I’ll prove to you that you can still enjoy life while doing so).
Connective Collective: This is an incredible community space where you can share your wins and struggles with people on a similar journey to you. You also have direct access to me, incredible resources and my exclusive live Breathwork and Meditation sessions.
2. Fitness, health and mindset coaching advice via my two podcasts:
THE MEG METHOD Podcast: A podcast that provides you with actionable advice and tools on how to create a foundation for better health. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
My Kind of People Podcast: Learn from some of the most incredible minds on the planet. Each episode, I speak with leaders and community members from across the world who all share a passion for positive change. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
Be kind. Breathe deep. Speak soon.
Big love, Meg x