NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS THAT LAST
By Meg Walker
THE FORMATIVE FORMATION
12 JAN 2023
4 MEGNOTES - Personal thoughts that I would like to share with you.
2 CONVERSATIONS - Discussions that have inspired me this week.
3 RESOURCES - 1 quote, 1 resource and 1 idea to help you grow.
1 QUESTION - How would YOU answer it?
1. Momentum should be a huge consideration when creating New Year Resolutions. Momentum is defined as ‘strength or force gained by motion or by a series of events’. Instead of going all out at the start of the year and burning out, we need to build strength and force through motion (our consistent actions) over the course of the year. Start small, grow big. Step by step. Week by week. Month by month. Allow yourself to show up, make mistakes (this is inevitable at the start) and learn from them because momentum is built from the strength of your actions.
2. If you do not want to resolve anything this year. If that seems too big of a task. Think about what you could consider instead. New Year Considerations are a valuable step in starting to create change.
3. Arguably, January is the hardest possible month to make a change. In most places, it’s dark, cold, many feel lethargic after all the holiday indulges and it can be hard to get back into daily life routine. That could be depressing or motivating depending which way you look at it. Use this month as your warm up month. It’s the month to start slow, embrace trial and error and get back into some sort of routine.
4. You don’t HAVE to but you GET to. That’s a very powerful realisation.
THE MEG METHOD: NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS THAT LAST
I recently released a podcast episode going into this topic in much more depth. In this episode, I provide some useful tips that I hope will help you create sustainable goals for 2023 (that you may even enjoy working towards!)
WE CAN DO HARD THINGS: WE’RE ON SOME NEW SH*T: 2023
Just as I have mentioned above, you don’t always have to vow to resolve. Sometimes you can just consider.
I loved Glennon, Abby, and Amanda’s refreshing take on New Year thinking. In this episode, they each share a No they are leaving behind – and a new Yes they’re bringing into their lives this year.
“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good” - John Steinbeck
Perfect doesn't exist. It's a made up concept. When you stop going to extremes, you can find a sustainable approach that allows you to finally be consistent. It's better to be consistently good then never perfect. Set yourself up to succeed with reasonable goals that work for you.
To achieve a goal will require consistent action. Consistent action usually comes off the back of habits and habits can be hard to build. To help you (and myself) with this, I have created a free goal tracker. The tracker will allow you to break your goal down into daily actions, weekly actions and quarterly actions. You’ve just got to focus on colouring in one dot at a time (spoiler alert: you will not be perfect but I BET you’ll be amazed by how much you’ve shown up this year when you allow yourself to be ‘ok’ or ‘good’ instead).
We often don’t need more time, we need to work out what’s gobbling up the time we already have.
WHEN YOU'RE READY, THERE ARE TWO WAYS THAT I CAN HELP YOU:
1. If you're wanting to improve your health this year, I have coached thousand’s of people to improve their fitness, breathwork and mindset through both 1-1 or group coaching:
1-1 Coaching: An opportunity to work closely with me through live Masterclass sessions or bespoke monthly training plans. Whether your goal is around fitness, nutrition, mindset and/or breathwork, I can help you create lasting change (and I’ll prove to you that you can still enjoy life while doing so).
Connective Collective: This is an incredible community space where you can share your wins and struggles with people on a similar journey to you. You also have direct access to me, incredible resources and my exclusive live Breathwork and Meditation sessions.
2. Fitness, health and mindset coaching advice via my two podcasts:
THE MEG METHOD Podcast: A podcast that provides you with actionable advice and tools on how to create a foundation for better health. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
My Kind of People Podcast: Learn from some of the most incredible minds on the planet. Each episode, I speak with leaders and community members from across the world who all share a passion for positive change. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
Be kind. Breathe deep. Speak soon.
Big love, Meg x