HEART TO HEART: THE FUN AND EASY WAY TO KEEP YOUR HEART HEALTHY
By Meg Walker
THE FORMATIVE FORMATION
20 JAN 2023
4 MEGNOTES - Personal thoughts that I would like to share with you.
2 CONVERSATIONS - Discussions that have inspired me this week.
3 RESOURCES - 1 quote, 1 resource and 1 idea to help you grow.
1 QUESTION - How would YOU answer it?
1. Let's be real, who doesn't want a good heart? And by good heart I mean a healthy one! Regular exercise is the ultimate love letter to your ticker. It helps to lower the risk of heart disease, stroke, and other health issues by improving blood circulation, reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and strengthening the heart muscle.
2. Health organisations recommend at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity per week for maintaining a healthy heart and blood vessels. This can include activities such as brisk walking, cycling, swimming, or jogging. But don't feel limited, you can also try activities such as Dancing, Kickboxing or even hula hooping! These activities can help lower the risk of heart disease, stroke, and other health issues by improving blood circulation, reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and strengthening the heart muscle.
3. Exercise not only improves cardiovascular health, but it also has a positive impact on mental health, mood, and overall well-being. It can help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, and improve sleep quality. So, if you're feeling a little blue, put on your dancing shoes and in the words of Taylor Swift, our queen and saviour, "Shake it Off"!
4. Remember, you don't have to be a marathon runner or a gym enthusiast to benefit from exercise. Any physical activity that gets your heart pumping and blood flowing is beneficial. Find an activity that you enjoy and make it a regular part of your routine. Whether it's going for a walk with your dog, playing a game of football with your friends or even doing household chores, every little bit counts!
The Formative Formation newsletter will help you level up your health and fitness one email at a time. Every Friday, I will share my 4-2-3-1 line up of thoughts, quotes, conversations and resources on all things fitness and mindset.
THE MEG METHOD: Exercise Is Terrible For Fat Loss
Watch this insightful video about why exercise is the best activity you can do for your general and cardiovascular health.
THE JORDAN SYATT MINI-PODCAST: Nutrition Strategies for Your Heart Health With Cardiologies Dr. Danielle Belardo
Listen to "The Jordan Syatt Mini-Podcast" podcast episode for expert advice on how to improve cardiovascular health through exercise and nutrition.
“When it comes to health and well-being, regular exercise is about as close to a magic potion as you can get.” Thich Nhat Hanh
If you could be given a magic pill to extend your life and transform your health, would you take it? Exercise is as close to that as you can get as its one of the best activities you can do for health and longevity. Start small and find an activity you enjoy.
Are you feeling stuck in a workout rut? Tired of doing the same old exercises? Well, have no fear, because I've got just the thing to spice up your fitness routine!
I know that sometimes, coming up with new workout ideas can be harder than solving a Rubik's cube blindfolded. But don't worry, I’m here to help! All you have to do is drop me an email email@example.com with the word ‘WORKOUT’ and I'll send you a free short workout idea that will leave you feeling refreshed and energised.
And don't worry, I won't send you anything too crazy. I’m not going to make you do burpees in a sauna (unless that's your thing, in which case, I’m sorry I judged you). But I promise, the workout ideas will be fun, effective and most importantly, doable from the comfort of your own home.
A new study tracked a sample of 47,471 U.S. adults aged 18+ showing that taking more steps per day was linked with a progressively lower risk of all-cause mortality, (fancy smancy word for death) up to a level that varied by age (this is because walking volume and pace can decrease with age and might differ by sex).
Interestingly, there was inconsistent evidence to suggest association of intensity of your steps with mortality beyond total volume - so moonwalk or do the funky chicken. Whatever tickles your fancy!
The study showed that the risk plateaued as follows:
- Older adults (aged ≥60 years) approx 6000–8000 steps
- Younger adults (aged <60 years) at approximately 8000–10 000 steps per day.
So essentially… don’t get your feathers in a twist if you can’t get your optimal ’10,000’ steps in per day (which actually comes from a Japanese Marketing campaign rather than actual evidence).
In the ancient words of my favourite Stoic, Tesco… every little helps!
There are huge health benefits to increasing your step count by however much you can.
Walking is literally LIFE.
"What is one physical activity that you have always wanted to try but haven't had the chance to?"
(Why not use this week's big question as a journal prompt to reflect on your current exercise routine and explore new options to improve your cardiovascular health?)
If you are willing to share, I would love to hear your answers to this. Please message me on Instagram @themegmethod or email me.
Let's get moving and have some fun! Happy exercising and here's to healthy hearts!
Are you ready to take your heart health to the next level? Let's have a heart-to-heart about how I can coach you to better fitness. Together, we can work on a plan that suits your needs and helps you achieve your goals.
Book a free coaching call with me using the link below and let's start taking steps towards a healthier, happier you!
WHEN YOU'RE READY, THERE ARE TWO WAYS THAT I CAN HELP YOU:
1. If you're wanting to improve your health this year, I have coached thousand’s of people to improve their fitness, breathwork and mindset through both 1-1 or group coaching:
1-1 Coaching: An opportunity to work closely with me through live Masterclass sessions or bespoke monthly training plans. Whether your goal is around fitness, nutrition, mindset and/or breathwork, I can help you create lasting change (and I’ll prove to you that you can still enjoy life while doing so).
Connective Collective: This is an incredible community space where you can share your wins and struggles with people on a similar journey to you. You also have direct access to me, incredible resources and my exclusive live Breathwork and Meditation sessions.
2. Fitness, health and mindset coaching advice via my two podcasts:
THE MEG METHOD Podcast: A podcast that provides you with actionable advice and tools on how to create a foundation for better health. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
My Kind of People Podcast: Learn from some of the most incredible minds on the planet. Each episode, I speak with leaders and community members from across the world who all share a passion for positive change. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
Be kind. Breathe deep. Speak soon.
Big love, Meg x