EXERCISE: IT DOESN'T GET EASIER BUT YOU DO GET BETTER AT IT
By Meg Walker
THE FORMATIVE FORMATION
27 JAN 2023
4 MEGNOTES - Personal thoughts that I would like to share with you.
2 CONVERSATIONS - Discussions that have inspired me this week.
3 RESOURCES - 1 quote, 1 resource and 1 idea to help you grow.
1 QUESTION - How would YOU answer it?
1. Exercise doesn't get easier, but you do get better at it. Just like any skill, the more you practice, the better you become at it. And let's be honest, who doesn't like getting better at something?
2. The beauty of exercise is that there's something for everyone and its adaptable. Don't like running? That's okay, try cycling or swimming instead. Don’t want to exercise alone? Join a fitness class. Can’t do a full push up? No problemo, start on your knees. Can't stand the thought of getting up early? That’s a-ok, try working out in the evening.
3. It's not about being perfect, it's about making progress. Start small and work your way up. And when you inevitably stumble and fall, don't beat yourself up. Instead, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep moving forward.
4. Exercise isn't just about physical health. It's also about mental health. Studies have shown that regular exercise can help to reduce stress and anxiety, improve mood, and boost self-esteem. So, not only will you be looking good, but you'll also be feeling good (and I personally believe that’s even more important!)
THE MEG METHOD: A Nudge Gets You Going
In this podcast episode, we delve into the topic of motivation and provide actionable tips on how to kickstart your progress towards achieving your goals. From setting up systems to make the journey smoother to implementing strategies to keep yourself on track, this episode is filled with valuable insights on how to stay motivated and achieve success. Whether you're looking to improve your fitness, advance in your career, or tackle a personal project, this podcast episode is a must-listen for anyone looking to give themselves a much-needed nudge to get going.
WENDY SUZUKI: The Brain-Changing Benefits of Exercise
In this inspiring Ted Talk video, Neuroscientist Wendy Suzuki discusses the science of how exercise boosts your mood and memory -- and protects your brain against neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's.
You can watch here on Youtube.
"The more I practice, the luckier I get." - Gary Player
This quote reminds us that success comes from consistent effort and practice. This applies to exercise too. The more you exercise, the better you will become at it and it will get easier over time. Progress may not always be linear, but it's important to keep pushing through and not give up. Every time you step out of your comfort zone, you're taking a step towards improvement. With practice, you'll find that you can do things you never thought possible.
Atomic Habits by James Clear
"Atomic Habits" by James Clear is an essential guide for anyone looking to improve their habits and reach their goals. The book provides practical and actionable strategies for creating good systems and habits in any area of life. While the book is not specific to exercise, the tools and techniques outlined in it can be applied to creating better exercise habits. Clear's focus on small incremental changes and the power of habit formation can help you understand how to make exercise a sustainable and enjoyable part of their daily routine. The book is an excellent resource for anyone looking to improve their exercise habits and overall health, as the tools and strategies outlined in it can be adapted to fit any goal or habit. It's a great read for anyone looking to make a positive change in their life.
When we exercise, it's important to remember that just because something isn’t easy, it doesn't mean we're not making progress. It may not feel easy in the moment, but with consistent effort and dedication, we'll get better and better at it. That's the beauty of growth and development, it's a gradual process. Instead of focusing on how easy or hard it is, let's focus on the progress we're making and getting stronger. Embrace the discomfort and challenge that comes with pushing ourselves, because that's how we build resilience and self-awareness. And, with time, we might even find that exercise becomes easier as we become better equipped to handle the demands placed upon us.
"How do you measure ‘success’ when it comes to exercise?"
(Why not use this week's big question as a journal prompt to reflect on your current exercise routine and explore new ways to celebrate your progress?)
Want to share your discoveries? Send me a DM on Instagram @themegmethod or email me.
The best things in life are rarely easy but they are worth the extra effort.
The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll improve. Take the first step towards reaching your fitness goals and join our community. Get the support, guidance, and resources you need to make exercise a sustainable and enjoyable part of your daily routine.
Book a free coaching call with me by pushing the blue button below and see for yourself how much progress you can make with just a little bit of consistent effort and dedication.
WHEN YOU'RE READY, THERE ARE TWO WAYS THAT I CAN HELP YOU:
1. If you're wanting to improve your health this year, I have coached thousand’s of people to improve their fitness, breathwork and mindset through both 1-1 or group coaching:
1-1 Coaching: An opportunity to work closely with me through live Masterclass sessions or bespoke monthly training plans. Whether your goal is around fitness, nutrition, mindset and/or breathwork, I can help you create lasting change (and I’ll prove to you that you can still enjoy life while doing so).
Connective Collective: This is an incredible community space where you can share your wins and struggles with people on a similar journey to you. You also have direct access to me, incredible resources and my exclusive live Breathwork and Meditation sessions.
2. Fitness, health and mindset coaching advice via my two podcasts:
THE MEG METHOD Podcast: A podcast that provides you with actionable advice and tools on how to create a foundation for better health. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
My Kind of People Podcast: Learn from some of the most incredible minds on the planet. Each episode, I speak with leaders and community members from across the world who all share a passion for positive change. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
Be kind. Breathe deep. Speak soon.
Big love, Meg x