CONSISTENCY: THE KEY TO FITNESS SUCCESS
By Meg Walker
THE FORMATIVE FORMATION
7 APR 2023
4 MEGNOTES - Personal thoughts that I would like to share with you.
2 CONVERSATIONS - Discussions that have inspired me this week.
3 RESOURCES - 1 quote, 1 resource and 1 idea to help you grow.
1 QUESTION - How would YOU answer it?
1. Consistency is a key component of achieving fitness success because it allows us to establish healthy habits and maintain them over time. Rather than focusing on drastic changes, it’s about making small, sustainable adjustments that add up over time. When we consistently make healthy choices, our bodies and minds adapt to these habits, and they become a part of our daily routine. This makes it easier to continue making positive choices and avoid falling back into old, unhealthy patterns.
2. In addition to establishing healthy habits, consistency also helps us build momentum towards our goals. When we see progress over time, it can be motivating and encouraging to keep going. This is why it's important to track our progress and celebrate our successes, no matter how small they may seem. Every positive action we take builds on the last, creating a snowball effect that propels us towards our ultimate goal.
3. Consistency is also essential because it helps us to overcome setbacks and obstacles. When we encounter a roadblock, such as an injury or a busy schedule, it can be easy to give up on our fitness goals altogether. But if we've been consistently making progress, we're more likely to view the setback as a temporary obstacle and find a way to work around it. This resilience can help us stay on track and continue moving forward, even when things get tough.
4. When we establish healthy habits and maintain them over time, they become a part of who we are. We don't have to constantly think about making healthy choices – they become second nature. This means we can enjoy our lives and feel good about our bodies without constantly obsessing over food and exercise. By making consistency a priority, we can create a sustainable, healthy lifestyle that we can maintain for years to come.
THE MEG METHOD: Consistency Is The Key To Fitness Success
Have you ever wondered why some people achieve their fitness goals while others struggle to stay on track? It all comes down to one key ingredient - consistency.
Join me as I dive into the truth behind consistency and share practical advice on how to stay motivated, focused, and accountable. In this episode, you'll learn how to set achievable goals, keep on top of your nutrition, create a sustainable workout routine, and overcome common obstacles that can derail your progress.
If you haven’t listened yet, please listen on Spotify or Apple Podcasts. You can also watch on Youtube.
ESPN: 17 Hours - Chris Nikic’s Ironman Story
Chris Nikic is an absolute hero in my eyes. Not only does he seem like a gold star human being, he is also the first person with Down Syndrome to complete an Ironman. He has trail-blazed a path for many to follow and his "get 1% better everyday" campaign is an idea that I believe we should all aspire to follow. Watch this short summary of Chris' incredible Ironman Story. I think it is an incredible example of what is possible with small and consistent steps.
Watch it here.
"Success is not a big step in the future; success is a small step taken just now." - Jonatan Mårtensson
Success is often thought of as a product of big, bold actions that bring about significant change overnight. However, the reality is quite different, as success is often the result of consistent, small actions taken over a period of time.
In today's society, it is easy to get caught up in the idea of instant gratification, where we expect to see immediate results without putting in the necessary effort. However, success is rarely achieved in this way. It requires dedication, discipline, and a consistent effort towards a particular goal. This requires taking small, consistent steps each day to build momentum and achieve success over time.
As cheesy as it sounds, success really isn't a destination but rather a journey. The finish line photo of a marathon, for example, represents just one moment in a long journey that is the result of months of small, consistent actions leading up to that moment. Success is not achieved through a single, grandiose action, but rather by taking small, incremental steps towards a goal, day in and day out.
This principle of small, consistent steps towards success applies to all areas of life, from personal growth to career advancement. For instance, if you were looking to develop a new skill, such as playing an instrument, the key to success is not to expect mastery overnight, but rather to commit to consistent practice, no matter how small, each day. Similarly, if you're looking to advance in your career, it is not a single big action that will lead to success, but rather consistent, incremental actions that add up over time.
Goal Tracker by THE MEG METHOD
If you haven't already grabbed a copy, I would advise you to download my free goal tracker. I created this goal tracker to show you that every action you take compounds over time to create something really valuable. My using this simple tracker daily, you'll see how your progress soon adds up over the weeks, months, quarters and year.
You'll realise that every day is not going to be perfect. But perfect isn't the objective. Consistency is.
You may have to skip the odd dot here and there but it’s what you repeatedly do over time that counts.
Get your free copy of the tracker and let's see what progress you can make in a year if you keep showing up and taking action (fill in or tick off a dot each day you hit your goal.)
Consistency in fitness can be likened to playing a game of connect 4. Just like in the game, the goal of fitness is not achieved with a single, massive effort. Rather, it is through a series of consistent, small actions that success is achieved. Just as each piece added to the game board in connect 4 builds towards a winning strategy, each workout, healthy meal, and good night's sleep builds towards a fit and healthy lifestyle. And just as in the game, a misstep or setback doesn't mean the end of the game - it's important to keep going, adjust strategy as needed, and continue to make consistent moves towards success. With dedication and perseverance, just like in connect 4, consistency in fitness can lead to a well-earned victory.
“What is one small action I can start doing consistently?”
(Why not use this week's big question as a journal prompt to decide on one small daily action you get start doing).
Want to share your discoveries? Send me a DM on Instagram @themegmethod or email me.
Success favours the consistent.
PASS IT ON
Want to pass on this week's The Formative Formation via message, email or social media? Just copy and paste the link below:
WHEN YOU'RE READY, THERE ARE TWO WAYS THAT I CAN HELP YOU:
1. If you're wanting to improve your health this year, I have coached thousand’s of people to improve their fitness, breathwork and mindset through both 1-1 or group coaching:
1-1 Coaching: An opportunity to work closely with me through live Masterclass sessions or bespoke monthly training plans. Whether your goal is around fitness, nutrition, mindset and/or breathwork, I can help you create lasting change (and I’ll prove to you that you can still enjoy life while doing so).
Connective Collective: This is an incredible community space where you can share your wins and struggles with people on a similar journey to you. You also have direct access to me, incredible resources and my exclusive live Breathwork and Meditation sessions.
2. Fitness, health and mindset coaching advice via my two podcasts:
THE MEG METHOD Podcast: A podcast that provides you with actionable advice and tools on how to create a foundation for better health. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
My Kind of People Podcast: Learn from some of the most incredible minds on the planet. Each episode, I speak with leaders and community members from across the world who all share a passion for positive change. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
Be kind. Breathe deep. Speak soon.
Big love, Meg x