COMPARISON: ENVIOUS OR INSPIRED
By Meg Walker
THE FORMATIVE FORMATION
3 MAR 2023
4 MEGNOTES - Personal thoughts that I would like to share with you.
2 CONVERSATIONS - Discussions that have inspired me this week.
3 RESOURCES - 1 quote, 1 resource and 1 idea to help you grow.
1 QUESTION - How would YOU answer it?
1. Comparison is the thief of joy. I've heard this statement a lot. I've even made a podcast about it. And I agree. Comparing yourself to others and accepting that you will never match up, will steal your joy. If that is your belief, then you have nowhere to grow.
But here's the thing. You aren't what you say you are unless you are what you do. Words are powerful but actions are even more so.
Your neighbours garden will always be greener if you're too busy comparing to water your own. If you think you are the world's worst gardener and do nothing to nurture your garden, you will be correct. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
(I don't know why i'm now a gardening connoisseur but we'll go with it!)
2. Comparison could be the thief of joy or the belief of joy. It all depends on how you look at it. Envy and jealousy do not serve you. All your focus is on what others have but you don't. What they are and what you're not. They are real human emotions but left unmanaged, they are fruitless.
3. Instead of being envious or jealous of others, I choose to aspire to their success instead. I find the gap between us inspiring. Instead of closed statements, I ask open questions. How did they get their garden so green? What can I learn from them? What could I achieve if I took action? How could I use my own unique skills to make something even better? I let people be proof of what's possible. It gives me the belief that I could achieve similar joy if I took action.
4. Whichever statement you believe in, it all comes back to you and what actions you are going to take in your life. Where are you in your fitness journey? Who around you can inspire you to do better? What actions did others take to get there? How can you bridge the gap between where you are and where you want to be?
Answer with action.
Comparison didn't steal your joy. You did.
You did the crime and you need to now do the time.
And it's time you give yourself joy back.
The Formative Formation newsletter will help you level up your health and fitness one email at a time. Every Friday, I will share my 4-2-3-1 line up of thoughts, quotes, conversations and resources on all things fitness and mindset.
THE MEG METHOD: Comparison Is The Thief Of Joy
This episode of THE MEG METHOD Podcast is all about comparison. We've all done it at some point. But where does comparison get us?
Listen to this episode to hear me explore this question further. I also provide some actionable advice on how to stop negatively comparing yourself to others and how to get excited by your own goals.
MY KIND OF PEOPLE: David Yim
In this podcast episode, I am joined by the legendary, David Yim. David Yim is a charity event runner and fundraiser. David or ‘Yimmy’ as he is well-known, has quickly become a well-loved member of the online Young Lives vs Cancer community and has helped raise a significant amount of money and awareness for various charities over the years. In this episode, we discuss breaking running stereotypes, how to compare yourself positively to others, the power of online community and the positive effects that running can have on mental wellbeing.
(If you are short on time, the discussion on comparison is from 57.30 - 1:02:10).
“After so many years struggling to keep up with you, I finally realized we’re not even running the same race.” - Scott Stabile
When it comes to comparison, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that everyone is running the same race. But the truth is, we're all on different tracks, with different hurdles and obstacles to overcome. It's like comparing a marathon runner to someone who can barely make it up a flight of stairs without getting winded. It's just not fair! So let's all take a deep breath, put down the stopwatch, and remember that we're each on our own unique journey. And who knows? Maybe we'll find that we're actually pretty good at the race we're running, even if it's not the one we thought we were supposed to be in. After all, life is full of surprises – and maybe that's the real race we're all meant to be running.
This article by Psychologies provides an insightful extract from Brené Brown's latest book 'Atlas Of The Heart'. In this extract, the world-renowned author and researcher Brené Brown explores the comparison trap and how to avoid it.
Comparison: Will you choose to be envious or inspired?
"What are 5 things that I appreciate and value about myself that I often overlook?"
(Why not use this week's big question as a journal prompt to reflect on what your uniqueness brings to the world?)
Want to share your discoveries? Send me a DM on Instagram @themegmethod or email me.
There is nobody in the world who is exactly like you. Embrace it. Nobody can beat you on that.
Struggling to know how to bridge the gap between where you are and where you want to be?
Sometimes it just needs a little outside perspective. Press the blue button below to book a free coaching call with me and let's close that gap together.
WHEN YOU'RE READY, THERE ARE TWO WAYS THAT I CAN HELP YOU:
1. If you're wanting to improve your health this year, I have coached thousand’s of people to improve their fitness, breathwork and mindset through both 1-1 or group coaching:
1-1 Coaching: An opportunity to work closely with me through live Masterclass sessions or bespoke monthly training plans. Whether your goal is around fitness, nutrition, mindset and/or breathwork, I can help you create lasting change (and I’ll prove to you that you can still enjoy life while doing so).
Connective Collective: This is an incredible community space where you can share your wins and struggles with people on a similar journey to you. You also have direct access to me, incredible resources and my exclusive live Breathwork and Meditation sessions.
2. Fitness, health and mindset coaching advice via my two podcasts:
THE MEG METHOD Podcast: A podcast that provides you with actionable advice and tools on how to create a foundation for better health. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
My Kind of People Podcast: Learn from some of the most incredible minds on the planet. Each episode, I speak with leaders and community members from across the world who all share a passion for positive change. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
Be kind. Breathe deep. Speak soon.
Big love, Meg x