ADVERSITY TRAINING: MAKING EVERY SESSION COUNT
By Meg Walker
THE FORMATIVE FORMATION
17 MAR 2023
4 MEGNOTES - Personal thoughts that I would like to share with you.
2 CONVERSATIONS - Discussions that have inspired me this week.
3 RESOURCES - 1 quote, 1 resource and 1 idea to help you grow.
1 QUESTION - How would YOU answer it?
1. Today, I want to talk about Adversity Training. Adversity Training is the act of showing up to train even when conditions are not optimal. These are the training sessions that might not have gone to your original plan.
2. We’ve all been there. We’ve put a training session in our diary for the next day. It looks simple on paper. We have the best intentions. Then we wake up the next morning and it’s blowing up a storm outside. So we tell us ourselves, that’s the end of that plan and sack off the training session completely. But what if we decided to make it an adversity training session instead?
3. Adversity training is where you ask yourself “how can I still make the most of this session?” “What can I get out of this session instead?” Had a run planned but the conditions outside are too dangerous? Could you stay home and do some strength or mobility work instead? Have you ever gone into a training session hoping for a personal best but your mindset wasn’t there that day? I know, I have. Instead of looking at that session as a failure, see it as adversity training. Remind yourself that you stuck out the session even though your mind was elsewhere. Even though you wanted to give up. You trained through the adversity and got something done. You’ll be even stronger the next session because of it.
4. The only time you fail is when you don’t show up at all. Now this doesn’t mean training when you’re very ill or dragging a broken leg along on a run in the name of adversity. That would not bring a positive outcome for your health. Adversity training in this case, might look like doubling down on nutrition and rest. Focusing on what you can currently control that will help you return stronger. It’s staring into the face of adversity and choosing to work with what you can do and not focus on what you can’t. Adversity training sessions will be some of your hardest. But they will also be your most valuable.
The Formative Formation newsletter will help you level up your health and fitness one email at a time. Every Friday, I will share my 4-2-3-1 line up of thoughts, quotes, conversations and resources on all things fitness and mindset.
THE MEG METHOD: Adversity Training
In this week's episode of THE MEG METHOD podcast, I'm focusing on adversity training by discussing the benefits of training in the face of challenges. Specifically, I dive into the power of training through adversity and how it can help you develop resilience and mental toughness. I also provide practical tips on how to identify and navigate different types of challenges during your training, helping you take your fitness sessions to the next level.
ROSS EDGELEY: Hill Sprints & Adversity Training (Fell Running).
Join Ross Edgeley in this inspiring video as he shares his unique perspective on adversity training and how it enhances his athletic performance. Through a challenging and wet fell run, Ross demonstrates the power of putting adversity training into action. Whether you're a seasoned athlete or a beginner, Ross's insights and practical tips will help you develop resilience, mental toughness, and a winning mindset. Don't miss out on this inspiring discussion of hill sprints, fell running, and the benefits of training through adversity!
Check it out here.
"When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure." - Peter Marshall
It's often said that the most rewarding sessions are the ones where things didn't go right. The ones where you struggled. The ones where you had to overcome obstacles to complete your workout. These sessions, where you pushed yourself to the limit. Where you refused to give up. They are the ones that build mental toughness, resilience, and strength. Like the oak tree that grows strong in the face of strong winds. Or a diamond that's formed under pressure. These challenges help us grow and become stronger versions of ourselves. ,Adversity training teaches us to be flexible. It teaches us to find another way around a problem when we encounter obstacles. That could be finding a different exercise to work around an injury. Or adjusting our training schedule when life gets in the way. This not only helps us in our fitness journeys but also translates to other areas of our lives. So, when you're facing a difficult workout or feeling discouraged. Remember the sessions that didn't go right are the ones where you'll grow the most. Every session brings you one step closer to your goal.
We're Going On A Bear Hunt by MICHAEL ROSEN
We’re going on a bear hunt. I loved this story as a child. I lost count how many times it was read to me. For every obstacle the characters in the book faced, the same words were told on repeat:
We can't go over it.
We can't go under it.
WE'VE GOT TO GO THROUGH IT!
This is adversity training. When conditions aren’t optimal, you’ll naturally want to skip your session entirely. You can avoid the session and find alternative routes but none of them will help you avoid going ‘through it’. You can’t avoid doing the work required to get to your goal. You can try find shorter routes but it’s likely only going to take you longer. To get to the other side, you need to go through it.
That’s the unavoidable truth.
It’s not always fun. It’s not always easy. But it’s possible. And you can make the journey work for you. And that’s a huge part of my role as a coach. I’m committed to helping empower you on your journey and to make the way through as enjoyable as possible. Every time you find ways to show up for yourself, the way through becomes just that little bit more manageable.
On TEAM MEG METHOD we’ve got big goals to catch this year and we’re not scared. In fact, we’re discovering that the journey through is proving just as valuable as the goal we were searching for on the other side.
If there's one thing I've learned in my fitness journey, it's that you'll never regret a training session. No matter how tough it may be. Sure, you might curse under your breath when you're struggling to finish that last rep. Or you might feel sore for days afterwards. But deep down, you know that every session has something to teach you. Even if that lesson is "don't eat a burrito before a cardio workout" (I would never...). Every time you show up to your training session, you're one step closer to your goals.
“What can I learn from this adversity?”
(Why not use this week's big question as a journal prompt to reflect on how you could turn your current burden into a gift).
Want to share your discoveries? Send me a DM on Instagram @themegmethod or email me.
It’s either a blessing or a lesson. Put meaning into every session and it will never go to waste.
You don't have to face adversity on your own.
Push the blue button below to book a free coaching call with me. Let's work out a way to work through your current obstacles together.
WHEN YOU'RE READY, THERE ARE TWO WAYS THAT I CAN HELP YOU:
1. If you're wanting to improve your health this year, I have coached thousand’s of people to improve their fitness, breathwork and mindset through both 1-1 or group coaching:
1-1 Coaching: An opportunity to work closely with me through live Masterclass sessions or bespoke monthly training plans. Whether your goal is around fitness, nutrition, mindset and/or breathwork, I can help you create lasting change (and I’ll prove to you that you can still enjoy life while doing so).
Connective Collective: This is an incredible community space where you can share your wins and struggles with people on a similar journey to you. You also have direct access to me, incredible resources and my exclusive live Breathwork and Meditation sessions.
2. Fitness, health and mindset coaching advice via my two podcasts:
THE MEG METHOD Podcast: A podcast that provides you with actionable advice and tools on how to create a foundation for better health. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
My Kind of People Podcast: Learn from some of the most incredible minds on the planet. Each episode, I speak with leaders and community members from across the world who all share a passion for positive change. Available to watch on Youtube or listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts or via your favourite podcast platform.
Be kind. Breathe deep. Speak soon.
Big love, Meg x